A bit about him;
- He had studio called Intro.
- Started in 89’
- The studio he was working at was a leading UK music industry graphic design company.
- They worked on Identity jobs for labels.
- Later he moved away from being an ‘everyday designer’ and left his job.
- He now works at ‘Resident radio’ (an art radio station) as well as working independently and with his new business partner Tony Brook.
- Tony Brook and Adrian Shaughnessy set up their own publishing company, ‘Unit Editions’ so they were more free to create work they wanted and found no reason they couldn’t do everything themselves today because most books etc are advertised and sold on the web so there is no need to rely on book shops or publishers etc to get there work out there.
Adrian then spoke a bit about the work he had been involved in;
- Their first publication ‘Studio Culture’ (How to set up a perfect studio)
-‘TD8369’ (A book bout Dutch design)
- ‘Super Graphics’ (A 60’s graphics movement, painting onto architecture/multiple surfaces.)
-‘Lubalin’ (About Herb Lubalin Type and Graphic Designer.)
10 Things good graphic designers do;
10. Good designers are selfish bastards.
9. Verbal skills to match Visual skills.
8. Good designers stand up for what they believe in.
7. Good designers always think ‘What if?’.
6. Good designers are collaborators.
5. Good designers are ethical.
4. Good designers are copyists. (and modifiers)
3. Good designers know that the non-designing part of being a designer is as important as the designing.
2. Good designers are aesthetes first and foremost.
1. Good designers are outsiders.